RULES OF THE DOJO
1. It is correct martial art etiquette not to train at other dojo’s unless your club sensei has given agreement.
2. You should address all instructors as Sensei/Sempai (as appropriate) whilst in the dojo.
3. 'Oss' is a sign of respect and is used generally in karate especially in the following situations:-
a) upon receiving any advice or command from an instructor.
b) when bowing at the start and finish of the class.
c) when bowing to your partner during kumite.
d) in any other appropriate situation for instance during gradings or competitions.
4. All students must show appropriate respect to higher grades.
5. If feeling unwell etc, during a lesson then let the sensei/instructor know and appropriate action will be taken. Should it be necessary for planned reasons to leave the class early, then the instructor must for obvious reasons be informed before the commencement of the lesson.
6. Any member arriving late must take up a kneeling position at the back of the dojo and await a signal from the instructor before joining the class.
7. Finger and toe nails must be kept clean and short.
8. Gi's must be kept clean and in good condition.
9. Jewellery (rings, earrings, bracelets, body piercing neck chains etc) should not be worn during training. if you cannot take a ring or earring off etc then tape must be wrapped around or cover the item.
10. Members must not swear, or commit any other act likely to offend the etiquette of the dojo.
11. Members should apply for a licence via the dojo not later than two weeks after being accepted into the dojo. This must be renewed annually.
12. Licences should be handed in one week before the scheduled grading dates
13. Karateka must bow on entering or leaving the dojo.
14 If you have any doubts regarding the dojo rules then please ask the chief instructor for advice.
15 Mobile phones must be switched off or be in silent mode.